Magnificent Macadamia Nut Pumpkin Bread With Chocolate ChipsBy
Healthy Recipes- Sweet Breads – Pumpkin Bread
Wholegrain pumpkin bread is a WONDERFUL healthy baked treat that makes a quick healthy breakfast and/or a great food choice to put in your children’s lunch box. (Just store this delicious bread in the freezer and take a piece out the day you want to eat it.)
There are so many healthy pumpkin treats you can make if you buy a Costco size can of pumpkin puree including pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin brownies, pumpkin pie and even pumpkin ice cream. Pumpkins are LOW in calories (only 15 calories per 1/2 cup) and loaded with nutrients that are so good for your body.
The GREAT NEWS in the “Wonderful World Of Pumpkin Baking” is It Reduces the Need for Extra Fat! There is only 1 tablespoon of oil in this whole recipe! I have also made this same recipe with no oil and added a tablespoon more pumpkin puree.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Macadamia Nut Bread
- 3/4 cup of Garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup of Oat flour
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup of applesauce (This is the equivalent to the 4oz kid size packs you can buy at the store. Be sure and look at ingredients to make sure there isn’t sugar added to it)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons grape seed oil (Be sure to store this in your refrigerator. It quickly goes bad if stored at room temperature.)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped Macadamia nuts (or walnuts, cashews, almonds etc)
- 1/2 cup of grain sweetened chocolate chips
Directions for Making Pumpkin Bread:
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Combine the coconut sugar with all all of wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, applesauce, grape seed oil) in your mixer using the blade attachment. If you don’t have a Kitchen Aid use a whip and combine until smooth. This is a form of “creaming” though not the traditional method, but it does make a difference.
2. In a separate bowl combine all of the flours, baking soda, spices, chocolate chips and chopped macadamia nuts. (Combining the chocolate chips and nuts with the flour help them evenly distribute through the bread)
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix together completely.
4. Line a 9×9 bread baking pan with parchment paper. (This makes it so easy and no clean up is required.) Pour the batter into the parchment paper.
After it is baked, you lift the parchment paper out of the baking pan and it easily slips out. No mess, no fuss and no mess.
5. Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or even golden brown. You will smell it through your home when it is done. I like to make sure this recipe is fully cooked or it is too moist.
6. Immediately remove by holding the parchment paper and lifting the bread out of the pan. Let it cool completely before eating or slicing.
7. Slice in pieces and freeze what you will not eat in 1 day. Be sure to place the bread you will eat in 1 day in plastic sealed bag and place in refrigerator. You don’t want it to loose it’s freshness.
8. If you want to eat from the freezer it will defrost on granite in 15 minutes, or you can almost defrost in a microwave. I place in the microwave for 10 seconds so the chocolate chips just start to melt. YUM!
Pumpkin bread is WONDERFUL to bake in advance and then put in your kid’s lunch boxes. You can easily take from the freezer and add to your kid’s lunch box if it is already put in freezer zip lock bags. It’s healthy, tasty and kid’s love it.
Happy baking and enjoy!