Mom’s Apple Muffins With Cinnamon StreuselBy
It is almost Mothers Day!
What reminds you more of your favorite “mom” then apples, apple pies, apple cake, apple muffins and everything sweet! My mom is the “apple of my eye,” my dearest friend, and my inspiration to be healthy, learn, and live life with gusto!
I am so grateful to have such a wonderful mom, and thank her for all the gifts she has given me throughout my whole life. I created this apple muffin recipe in dedication of my dear mom for Mother’s Day 2011.
Please share these apple muffins with your amazing mom and we can eat nutrient rich sweet treats together!
Overview of The Apple Muffins:
If you are looking to bake apple muffins that are delicious and filled with nutrients, look no further. Using a combination of blanched almond flour and whole wheat pastry flour, these apple muffins are not only delicious, but they are packed with protein, vitamins and minerals. Blanched almonds are ground up almonds without the skin, and the benefits of almonds and almond flour is staggering.
Did you know that eating an apple every day helps prevent your skin from wrinkling?
These apple muffins are sweetened with coconut sugar, are very moist, and have a wonderful “homey” taste of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and apples. When you bake the apple muffins them it smells like mom is baking. There is also apple sauce, non fat yogurt and grape seed oil in these apple muffins to add a wonderful moist and refreshing texture. You could eat these apple muffins as an apple dessert, a healthy breakfast, or a very filling, satisfying snack.
Ingredients of Apple Muffins With Cinnamon Streusel:
- 1 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour (Store in refrigerator)
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (Store in freezer)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
Health Benefits of Coconut Sugar
Buy Coconut Sugar Online
- 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium organic eggs
- 2 medium sized apples cored and peeled
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup of organic plain, non fat yogurt
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
(Optional-These Apple Muffins Are Delicious With Or Without This Topping)
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of softened butter (I have also made this recipe with grape seed oil and it was delicious)
Directions On How To Make Apple Muffins:
- Using a Kitchen Aid mixer, mix the eggs, vanilla, yogurt, coconut sugar, grape seed oil, pumpkin puree and apple sauce. If you are working by hand mix together until creamy smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the almond flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Sir in the pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon in to the mixture. Stir the flour mixture together to make sure that everything has been combined.
- Add in the apple pieces to the flour mixture and stir. (Mixing the apples with the flour helps ensure they won’t sink to the bottom of your apple muffins)
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir together.
How To Make The Cinnamon Streusel:
- Soften the butter. (Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds if cold, until it is soft.) Do not use melted butter, and you want it just softened.
- Put the flour, coconut sugar, butter and cinnamon in the bowl.
- Use your hands and mix the flour together in your hands, grinding the flour until it is a crumbly mixture.
- Be sure to break down the butter and blend it with the flour, my mixing it by using your thumbs and fingers to massage the dough.
- Once it is crumbly, sprinkle on the top of the apple muffins