Mimi’s Mini Apple Pie Fillo Treats Taste Great!By
Healthy Desserts – Mino Fillo Shells
If you are scrambling to find a quick and easy healthy dessert for a holiday dinner, I hope you enjoy Mimi’s Mini Apple PIe Fillo treats! Instead of making a traditional apple pie, I wanted to use Mini Fillo Shells for the apple pie and then make a larger pumpkin pie, or other festive treat. Then each person could then have a piece of pumpkin pie and a bite or two of apple pie. What could be better than that!
The BEST part of this recipe, is it is so easy to make. The apple pie filling can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator, and the Mini Fillo Shells are purchased from your local store or online! What could be easier!
Recipe For Mimi’s Mini Apple Pie Fillo Treats
- 3 packages of Athens Greek Mini Fillo Dough (Store in the freezer until you use) They do not need to be baked.
- 5 apples that are best for apple pie
- 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
1. Put 2 cups of water in a bowl. Squeeze the entire lemon in the water. (This helps prevent browning of the apples)
2. Chop the apples into little tiny pieces and soak in lemon water. (The Mini Fillo Shells are not large)
3. Mix the cornstarch with the 3 tablespoons of water.
4. Pour the water from the apples into a pan and combine with the cornstarch, coconut sugar, ginger, cinnamon and vanilla sugar. Bring to a boil and combine all the ingredients together.
5. Add apples to mixture and combine so the apples are coated with the liquid and boil for 1-2 minutes letting the liquid thicken.
6. Put lid on, reduce heat and simmer for 6-12 minutes until apples are tender.
7. Let mixture cool and place in the refrigerator in a covered bowl. (You can serve warm too if you are eating them right away!)
8. When you are ready to serve dessert, put the apple mixture inside of the Mino Fillo Shells and VOILA! Serve and enjoy. (You do not need to bake the Mini Fillo Shells)
Optional: You can drizzle with carmel, chocolate sauce or home made whipping cream.