“Crazy” Coconut Sugar Chocolate Chip Cashew BiscottiBy The Living Healthy Mom
Biscotti is such a wonderful cookie dessert to eat with coffee and/or to bring along on a picnic with your kids. The problem with most Biscotti recipes is they are nothing but empty calories of white processed flour, and white refined sugar.
This is NOT a good way to start your day.
Great news for moms! Enjoy drinking your coffee while eating a healthy Biscotti cookie at your next play date!
The great news is you can now bake a living healthy Biscotti recipe that tastes great and is loaded with vitamins and minerals. In addition, since you are using coconut sugar, it will not spike your kid’s blood sugar levels and will provide tons of rich and healthy nutrients from the almond butter and from the three whole grain flours.
DID YOU KNOW? Coconut palm sugars has a very low Glycemic index of only 35, helping to prevent your kid’s blood sugar from spiking. In addition, coconut sugar is considered to be the single most sustainable sweeteners in the world according to the The Food and the Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
Overview of The Healthy Chocolate Chip Cashew Biscotti Recipe:
This Coconut Sugar Chocolate Chip Cashew Biscotti recipe is simply delicious. You would never know that it uses whole grain flours and has less butter than many other Biscotti recipes. This Biscotti cookie recipe only uses only 1/4 cup of butter, which is also creamed together with healthy organic almond butter. In addition there are three different whole grain flours that are used in the Biscotti recipe including; wheat pastry flour, oat flour and Quinoa flour. Lastly, this healthy Biscotti recipe is sweetened with coconut sugar; a very healthy sugar alternative that does not increase the blood sugar of kids.
Crazy Coconut Chocolate Chip, Cashew Biscotti Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup Quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup Oat flour
- 1 cup of Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted, organic butter
- 1/4 cup Almond butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grain sweetened, chocolate chips, or carob chips for an even healthier alternative
- 1 cup of whole, raw and unsalted cashews
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using the paddle attachment of your mixer, cream the butter, almond butter and sugar until blended. (Make sure that the butter is at room temperature when you cream and do not use melted butter)
- Add the eggs one at a time and blend. (Place the eggs in warm water before you crack, so they too are at room temperature)
- Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Quinoa flour, whole wheat pastry flour, Oat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Sift the flour mixture through a pasta strainer, or a sifter.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until it is mixed. Do not over mix, or the dough will get tough.
- Add in the grain sweetened chocolate chips or carob chips, and the whole cashews.
- With floured hands, shape the dough into TWO skinny logs and put them on top of parchment lined baking sheet side by side.
The dough will be sticky, so you want to sprinkle a little bit of flour on your hands so you can form the dough into two separate logs.
- 1st BAKING TIME: Bake at 350 until golden brown and firm to the touch, roughly 20-30 minutes.
- Take out of oven and cool completely.
- Once it is cool, slice Biscotti pieces diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 2ND BAKING TIME: Lay the Biscotti pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake again at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Let Biscotti cool and rest and eat the next day. You can also refrigerate, or freeze.
Coconut sugar chocolate chip cashew biscotti recipe created by the Living Healthy Mom 2011