Sing a Song Chocolate Chip Blueberry MuffinsBy
The “Sing a Song” Chocolate Chip Blueberry muffin recipe is a very healthy, nutrient rich, low fat chocolate chip blueberry muffin that only has 170 calories in it. This blueberry muffin is a staple in our home using either grain sweetened chocolate chips, natural sweeteners and whole grain flours.
DID YOU KNOW? Blueberries can help prevent your kids from getting sick, because blueberries increase your child’s immune system.
My husband loves blueberries and so do our kids so I often make my healthy chocolate chip/carob chip blueberry muffins and serve them for breakfast once or twice a week.
Overview of the “Sing a Song” Chocolate Chip Healthy Blueberry Muffins:
The “Sing a Song” Blueberry muffins are loaded with wonderful nutrients to help your kids start their day off right with protein, vitamins and fiber. Using a combination of Quinoa flour, whole wheat pastry flour and wheat bran, these blueberry muffins are loaded with fiber and are a complete protein if eaten by itself. The flax seed gives the blueberry muffin a slight crunch that is very subtle and lovely. In addition, there is no butter in this healthy blueberry muffin and instead uses two tablespoons of light olive oil and applesauce.
This blueberry muffin recipe only has 129 calories in it if you don’t include the chocolate chips and if you include the chocolate chips it only has 174 calories. The BEST PART? It is LOADED with nutrients! The average chocolate chip blueberry muffin has 300-650 calories each, with no healthy nutrients ….just empty calories. WOW!
Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips Versus Carob Chips
If you want to substitute the grain sweetened chocolate chips for an even healthier alternative you can put in carob chips and it becomes a delicious carob chip blueberry muffin. I highly recommend carob chips if you have not tried them before in your blueberry muffins, as they add a lot of health benefits and great taste. I typically heat the blueberry muffin for 10 seconds in the microwave and enjoy the melted carob chips, or the melted grain sweetened chocolate chips that blend together with the blueberry taste. Simply delicious. ENJOY!
Chocolate Chip Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 Quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed (gives the blueberry muffin a slight crunch)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup organic non-fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of grain sweetened chocolate chips, or carob chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Using your mixer combine eggs, yogurt, raw honey, olive oil and vanilla.
- Use a metal strainer, and sift your flour, baking soda and baking powder together into a separate bowl.
- Combine your flour mixture and your wet mixture and mix by hand.
- Stir in the chocolate chips/carob chips and the blueberries.
- Grease 12 regular-size muffin cups with olive oil, or use paper cups or silicone cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. (Be sure to remove the blueberry muffins from the silicone cups right after baking so they don’t steam your food further.)
- Serving size is 12 blueberry muffins using a standard size muffin tin.
- ENJOY your healthy chocolate chip blueberry muffins.
Calorie Information For This Chocolate Chip Blueberry Muffins:
- Calories per muffin: 179 calories (average is between 300-650)
- Total Fat: 6.75g (average is 24-38g of fat)
- Saturated Fat 2.5g (average is between 6-11g of saturated fat)
- Carbs: 27 g (average is between 34-87g)
- Protein: 4.17g (average has 2g)
- Sodium 125mg
- Cholesterol 26.16mg
- Potassium 54.14mg